Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hola Amigos!

In middle/high school I spent five years studying German and in college I spent two years studying Spanish. How much of it do I remember after a couple of decades? Well, I can ask where the bathroom is if I am in Mexico and I vaguely remember that in German all the verbs pile up at the end of the sentences. That is about it.

I found learning another language challenging and as an introvert, I was always too nervous to try to pronounce foreign words in front of others. Those things did not work in my favor. Since my earlier education I have purchased several cd sets in hopes to once again master another language but sitting and listening to a cd isn't a great learning method for the easily distracted like myself.

So today, on my Twitter feed, I read about a link to this site: http://www.duolingo.com/. English speakers can choose to learn Spanish, French, German, Italian or Portuguese or native speakers of those languages can learn English. The game style of the website is fun, the interface clean, registration and participation is free, and for those who want to learn on the go, a Duolingo app is available for the iPad, iPhone, and Android devices. The practice activities I have participated in so far have included identifying which Spanish phrase goes with which picture, translating a Spanish phrase into English and vice-versa, and even recording my own voice and receiving computer feedback... I like this because I don't fear a computer wincing at my non-native accent. :o)  There is also a way to compete with friends if they are users, a discussion board for sharing of ideas and an immersion section with articles that users can work on translating.

This site would be a great addition to a foreign language curriculum (including instruction geared towards English-as-a-second-language students). And if you are fortunate enough to already be fluent in two languages and like to help others (don't all teachers?), there is a section of the site where users can help create new courses.

Enjoy! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...